My Sailing Experience

Yesterday, on the 29th of February,  I luckily arrived  with my friend, Graziel, when it was a few minutes away from 8:15 because we had to start walking at 8:25. So I removed my outer clothes because I had my swimming togs under my school uniform, got my towel, shoes that I could use for walking and for getting wet and goggles just in case.

After that, I put my school uniform into my swimming bag.Then, I put my swimming bag back into the cloak bay which is where we put our bags. A few minutes later, Mr Bell told us to call the other students who are in my class.

We got our hats from Mrs Agnew because it would be hotter in the water. When Marii and I were going to call them, we did a little race but she got ahead of me because she went first. When Marii arrived at the canopy, she shouted to our classmates to come back to room 7. Our other classmates were a little worried and anxious because they were supposed change. But luckily, we didn’t really need to change. So we got all our bags and sat down at the canopy. Once all of us were there, Mr Bell asked Pio to do prayers because he is really good at starting and ending prayers. 

So Pio accepted and did a prayer to pro0tect us when we were walking and sailing. Once Pio finished prayers, Mrs Bullot, our principal, said to partner up so it is easier to count. I  partnered up with Pio, then we prayed each prayer like the Hail Holy Queen prayer. After praying, we went across Church Crescent, down Basin View Road and  crossed Lagoon Road.

Once we finished walking, we met Steph and Allie, who came from Yachting New Zealand. We also met Blair, who came  from Panmure Lagoon Sailing Club. We learned the parts of the yacht like the rudder which to use if you face it left, it will go right, including the mainsail and the centreboard which is like a fin.

We learned the positions on where we sat like if you are controlling the mainsail, you sit nearest the mainsail making your feet face forward and opposite when you are controlling the rudder. To also get more speed, you have to paddle with your hands which hurts your arm.

I also forgot to tell you but the year 5s from room 6 also came from you. Georzen and I were the first ones, we were sitting together. Then Graziel and Marii were second and they passed us. After they passed us, the others came. We made a comeback and passed them. Steph and Allie said that Georzen and I were doing really good. It was until Georzen and I thought that we should team up with Graziel and Marii.

After Marii and Graziel teamed with us, we had to collect ducks and throw them into the boat Steph and Allie were in. If we accidentally dropped a duck, Graziel and Marii would get them and pass it back, same for us as well to be fair for teaming. Again, I ALSO forgot to say that after knowing how to do the controls, we played this game called follow the bubbles. To play it, Steph and Allies boats use a motor to make bubbles, and we have to follow the bubbles.

After following the bubbles and collecting and throwing ducks. All of us had to capsize. A  capsize is to flip your yacht upside down. So Georzen and I did that by using the pole which is where the sail is connected by it. After doing that, we also had to flip it back to the normal side  which is really hard. So Georzen went to push the back of the yacht and I had to climb to the centreboard and pull it to me. After using all my strength, we pushed the yacht back to its normal position.

Then I went and climbed inside of the yacht and helped Georzen to climb on. Georzen wanted to help others but he capsized the boat again so I had to do the whole thing again. I would love to explain and share more but it is really long but I hope that you have a nice day.